Photobucket

Saturday, April 4, 2015

Paint, Paint and YES, MORE PAINT

I am all about drawing and crafty stuff.  And so is my daughter.  She's only 9 and yet she has an amazing God given talent for free hand drawing and comes up with craft stuff that I never would have dreamed of coming up with on my own, even at my 42 years of age.  She's made her own Winter the dophin out of paper--mechanical tail and everything.    I never know what Im going to see when I pick her up from my parents after I get off of work, or what Im going to find when I come home from work on the days my husband is off.

This week her choice for some of her 'school' was making play dough, which was neat.  I have tried myself to make play dough many times and it never turned out.  My husband and her made this on Tuesday, but failed to take any pics of the process.  That's ok thought b/c I saw the results of it when I got home.

Her next choice was making her own PAINT!  Now that was cool.  She was texting me pics of the progress as she was making it.  She had so much fun doing this that she made even more yesterday.  No more BUYING paint.  Most people should pretty much have everything in your kitchen already.
Salt, flour, water and food coloring.

This is the kind of things that she will not learn sitting in a classroom of 16-20 students.  They are not going to take the time to gather all of the necessary items and show that many kids at one time how to do this.  Even when I was a kid, in Art class we always used store bought tempra paint.  The only thing we "made" from scratch was paer mache.   I remember back in the 3rd grade,  we were to make a fish in Art class out of paper mache.  I realized and noticed EVEN THEN that the teacher focused more on certain students than others.  That's not fair and its not right.   It made me feel like what I was working on was not important, and yet "Bobby's" fish was better than mine.  

Kids today have so much more at their finger tips as far as learning and school.  And they don't need to sit in a classroom in a brick and mortor building to learn.  They can learn at home.  If you stop and think about it, essentially you are teaching your kids at HOME before they even start preschool!  You are teaching them from the day you bring them home!

The fact that we have made the choice and are able to keep our kids at home and that they can and do learn from daily experiences, is a huge blessing to me.  I am thankful that I have that tug in my heart for them to be at home.  I see parents gripe and complain when school is out due to bad weather and I think, "how sad!!"  My kids are always with me.  And when they aren't?  One is at my parent's--stop right there for a minute.  Yes, she is at my parent's house.  And she has the chance to learn about cooking and baking and crocheting DAILY.  What precious memories for her and her Noni!
My oldest is at work.   He has a full time job!  He's got about 4 bills that he pays and takes care of on his own!  I have said a lot lately that he has learned so much in the last year at his job, that he wouldn't learn in school.

A day in the life of home school.....that we are quickly changing to radical unschooling.  Why not you?

Here's my daughter's pics of her home made paint.   She had a ton of FUN doing this! Most kids don't look at school as fun, but rather its boring.  Why not allow your kids to do FUN things daily instead of being bored out of their gourd day in and day out for 7 hours a day?





UNSCHOOL IS COOL






No comments:

Post a Comment